The 16th Quarterly Challenge was a wonderful way to celebrate 5 years of shear costuming madness! So many of our members presented their costumes for the Anything Goes challenge!
We also welcomed many fabulous new members to our group. Hello, everyone! If you are new to the Shear Madness group, besides the Facebook community, we also host quarterly challenges– a fun way to show off your costumes and jumpstart your creativity. We took a break for the first quarter of 2018, but now the quarterly costuming challenges are rolling again, beginning with..
Challenge #17 “TIE-DYE FOR!”
This challenge is for all costumers of all levels and all genres!
Rainbow colors and/or fabric dyeing techniques take the spotlight in this colorful challenge!
The submission deadline is July 1st, 2018 at midnight CST.
1. Any costume completed between April 1st, 2017 and the deadline of July 1st, 2018 qualifies! When you began your submission doesn’t matter as long as it was FINISHED within the time period of 4/1/2017 – 7/1/2018! The submissions window is open beginning April 1st, 2018 and closes on July 1st, 2018 at midnight CST.
2. Your entry should showcase bold color, a fancy fabric-coloring technique (tie-dye, batik, hand-painting, etc.), or both! Creative materials are welcome and encouraged! This challenge encompasses all sorts of genres– fantasy, cosplay, vintage, historical, etc. So if you’ve always wanted to make a flower-power bustle dress or a Nyan cat costume, now is the time!
3. This challenge is for complete costumes or stand-alone wearable accessories (hats, shoes, corsets, etc.)
4. 75% of the piece must be made or modified by you. 25% of your entry can be unaltered/purchased items. For example, if you buy a corset to wear as-is, it will factor into the 25%, but if you cover the corset in hand-painted flowers as part of an outfit, it may be counted as part of the 75%.
5. We want to see your creativity and hard work on display, not someone else’s! Recreations of fashion plates, paintings, digital artwork, etc. are perfectly fine, but if you do reinterpret or take inspiration from someone else’s previous design, please give proper credit to them in your submission description. If you are portraying a character, please include the character’s name and the title of the show/book/artwork in which they appear!
— You are not required to enter a challenge to join the Facebook Group, but it is encouraged!—
How to Submit Your Challenge Entry
Challenge entries must be submitted to:
before midnight CST on July 1st, 2018!
—-> Submissions must include Your name, a TITLE for your entry, Up to 5 PICTURES, and a DESCRIPTION.
TITLE: Every work of art needs a good title! For example “1830s Cinderella” or “Red Wedding Guest” or “Alucard” or “Dolly Parton Goes To Ren Fair” etc.
PHOTOS: Photos are VERY IMPORTANT and can make or break an entry! Outfits can be displayed on mannequins or dress forms, but photos of it being worn by a human are preferred! Make sure you have at least one straight-on front shot so all the details can be seen! Include close-ups of specific details you are proud of like embellishment, process photos, alternate angles, etc. LIMIT OF 5 PHOTOS PER ENTRY, PLEASE!
DESCRIPTION: Along with your photos, include a description of your piece. Tell us about what makes your entry special! Did you try any new techniques? Is it made for particular person/persona? Have you worn it to any events? If you ran into any problems you had to tackle, tell us how you solved them. Judges greatly appreciate construction details! Winning entries will have excerpts from their submission descriptions published on the blog.
—> Be sure to give credit to any artists if you chose to reinterpret their artwork!
If you can, please include a photo of the artwork and/or a link to the original source.
HAVE FUN! This is not something we want you to agonize over. This is to be a fun and inspiring challenge for you as a costumer to help you grow and express yourself. And if the entire thing doesn’t get finished? Oh well! Share or submit what you have!
Limit of two (2) entries per person per challenge.
Costumes posted to Facebook will not be counted as part of the challenge—they must be submitted via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to qualify. Contestants can share the progress of their outfits on their blogs or on the Shear Madness Facebook page. However, please do not post entries in their final state on the Facebook page until after judging is complete.
Judging and Awards
The judges will review the entries and the winners will be announced during the first week of July 2018. There will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners, as well as honorable mentions as chosen by the judges. Winners will be given a Shear Madness logo with their winning placement for display on their blog/website and will have their creations featured in the header on the Facebook group page! All submissions will have a photo featured on the Challenge’s final blog post!
Group administrators and moderators have the final say on any rules for challenges and may update them as needed.